These got my thumbs up right away but were even better once they sat for a few minutes. (Yes, I confess to eating crackers hot out of the oven.) Hubby was nervous that I would eat them all before he got home but I was nice and saved him plenty. I also saved them because I knew I'd be making Cashew Cream today.
Peter Reinhart's Crispy Rye and Seed Crackers
1/4 cup (1.5 ounces) sunflower seeds
1/4 cup (1.5 ounces) pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons (1 ounce) flaxseeds
6 tablespoons (2 ounces) sesame seeds
1 3/4 cups (8 ounces) rye flour
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
2 tablespoons (.75 ounce) agave nectar
3/4 cup (6 ounces) water, room temperature
egg white wash or sweet wash
- Grind sunflower and pumpkin seeds into a fine powder or flour in a blender or spice grinder. Blend in pulses and be careful not to blend too long (or you'll make seed butter.) Separately, grind the flaxseeds into a fine powder.
- Combine seed powders, sesame seeds, rye flour, salt, oil, nectar, and water in mixer bowl. Mix with paddle attachment, on lowest speed, for 1 to 2 minutes. (Or mix by hand with sturdy spoon for 1 to 2 minutes.)
- Knead for 30 seconds on lightly floured surface. Dough should be tacky but not sticky, add water or flour if needed.
- Preheat oven to 300F and line 1 baking sheet with parchment for each batch (4). (I did 2 at a time.)
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Wrap 2 in plastic and stash in fridge until ready to use. With the other 2, roll out one at a time to 1/16" and cut into whatever shapes make you happy. (I used a pizza wheel and made square-ish shapes.) Place pieces on lined sheets. Brush with wash and sprinkle with additional seeds. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. (If baking more than one sheet at a time rotate racks every 10 minutes.)
- Repeat with the other half of the dough or do it up to 4 days later.
- Allow to cool, they won't be fully crisp right out of the oven. If they aren't crisp once cooled just pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes.
What I Might Try Next Time
(or the time after that)
- replace flaxseeds with more pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- replace 1 cup of the rye flour with whole wheat flour
- replace half of seeds with almonds
- add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
- add a dash of black pepper
Sweet Wash = 1 tablespoon agave nectar and 3 tablespoon water, whisked.