Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thing 7 .... Black Bean Enchiladas

I've been doing "Meatless Mondays" for a while now and it's led me to try some new recipes I find or create some of my own.  Soon I'll be adding Thursdays to my meatless plan.  The alliteration just isn't there but I think it's still a good thing.  I don't mind it at all but the hubby is resistant so I have to push myself to find things that are so tasty that he meatless aspect sneaks by him.

Here's one of the ideas I came up with recently, Black Bean Enchiladas.  This was a Monday meal.  I work until 8:30 on Monday nights so I did all the chopping before work and then just stashed those veggies in the fridge (except for the tomato, I didn't trust it to keep well that way.)  I believe it made 10 or 12.  I probably should have taken notes on that.  It fed us well for dinner and hubby had some for lunch the next day, he says they reheat well.


1 can black beans (I check mine to make sure they don't contain soy)
1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 roma tomato, chopped
1 sprig Mexican Oregano, leaves only
1 can enchilada sauce
1 bag Jack cheese
thick corn tortillas (Again, you might want to check for soy.  Thin tortillas fall apart.)
2 pats of butter plus extra for greasing dish

  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Grease casserole dish and set aside.
  • In a large skillet, cook onion, peppers and tomato until tender.  Add black beans and mexican oregano and cook until warm.
  • In a small skillet melt butter over medium-high heat.
  • Warm both sides of a tortilla in butter and move it casserole dish.  Add a spoon of black bean mixture and a little cheese then roll to form an enchilada.  Scoot it over to the side.
  • Repeat the last step with each tortilla, adding more butter to skillet as needed.
  • Pour enchilada sauce over all and top with cheese.
  • Bake until cheese starts to brown.
  • Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes.
  • Serve and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment